MSR Houston’s Teen Driving Safety School has the experience, knowledge, equipment, and facility to safely teach teen drivers the real world driving skills they need. Driving Program is committed to maximizing drivers’ skills to maximize their safety, bringing their skill level up to that of the car so they can be in safe in all situations they may encounter.
The primary emphasis of this school is a “hands-on” driving experience that can teach students many aspects of how to control a car safely in real-world situations. This is not a course to learn how to drive at high speeds. Car control, accident avoidance, and spatial awareness are the primary objectives.
Our schools are typically held on the weekends. Below are the dates of our upcoming schools for 2020
- April 11th (CANCELLED)
- May 9th (CANCELLED)
- June 13th (CANCELLED)
- July 18th
- August 22nd
- September 27th
- October 11th
- November 29th
- December 19th
Not sure on which date just yet? You can also purchase a gift certificate and give us a call when you’d like to register your Teen. Simply select “Other Date” when checking out on the right. Additional dates can be set with a minimum of 4 students by contacting Kurt.
- Proper Vision and Awareness
- Seating Position
- Hand and Mirror Placement
Car Control & Distracted Driving
- Limits of vehicular physics
- Experience their own limitations in a safe low speed and controlled environment
- Test limits while driving distracted and see the potential consequences of the bad habit
Skid Avoidance & Recovery
- Skid pad is wet down to safely learn at low speeds and experience low traction situations
- Students are taught and experience skid recognition, and how to correctly respond to skids
- Students learn to safely maximize emergency braking with ABS brakes
Evasive Lane Change Maneuver
- Accident avoidance technique where students learn to maximize turning potential with aggressive steering inputs
Does my teen need a license to take this course?
– No, we accept students with driving permits. Our only requirement is that the student have at least six months of behind the wheel experience, including freeway/highway driving. This allows us to push the students past their comfort level without them panicking.
How much time is spent in the classroom versus behind the wheel?
– Our classroom portion lasts roughly 45 minutes. After that, the rest of the time is spent behind the wheel. There will be a few times when the students are out of the vehicles for observation.
What vehicles are used?
– We use our Mercedes-Benz C250s for the class. The uniformity of the same vehicle allows us to set up our exercises with precision. We will relate all the of learning elements back to the students vehicle, whether it’s another sedan or a truck or anything in between.
How many students are in each class?
– The number of student varies, but we try to keep the class size to no more than 10. We strive to have a 3:1 student to instructor ratio.
Can parents watch?
– Yes, however, we ask that you watch from a distance. Students act differently when their parents are around, and we want this to be as true to real life as possible.
Can I just drop my teen off or send them by themselves?
– Yes, we will inform you of the estimated finishing time so you can plan accordingly. If you choose to send your teen by themselves, please make sure to send them with a filled out minor waiver.
If I purchase an “Other Date” certificate, do I need to call and register my teen?
– Yes, we limit the number of students in each school to maximize our student to instructor ratio.
Was your question not answered? Please feel free to give us a call at 281-369-0677 or email Kurt.